Marcell Ranger Station


The Marcell Ranger Station was constructed between 1934 and 1936 by the Civilian Conservation Corps from the Inger and Day Lake CCC Camps. The Corps worked under the direction of the United States Department of Agriculture Forest Service. The facility was built to serve as the administrative headquarters for the Marcell Ranger District, which was established in 1933-34. Originally consisting of six Rustic Style buildings, only five remain today. The Main Office was replaced in 1967 by the current office building.

 Collectively, the buildings at the Marcell Ranger Station remain outstanding examples of the high quality log construction for which northern Minnesota was recognized. The administrative complex represents a uniquely American architectural expression developed by the National Park Service reflecting the non-intrusive and environmentally sensitive design philosophy which was intended to symbolize the land management policies from the period. Perhaps for the first time in the history of American architecture, a building became an accessory to nature. The facility represents the only surviving example of a Rustic Style ranger station on the Chippewa National Forest and is believed to represent the best developed example of a Rustic Style ranger station in the state. The Marcell Ranger Station continues to serve it's original function and retains excellent historic integrity.

 Marcell district employees are proud to announce the listing of the Marcell Ranger Station on the National Register of Historic Places.


Back